Tuesday, April 23, 2013

yobeat interviews snowboard memes

content from- http://www.yobeat.com/2013/04/22/facebook-domination-snowboard-memes/



The Internet is a crazy place and everyone from major corporations to your mom are still trying to figure it out. But unfortunately for the aging millennials and older, it takes a kid who’s grown up never knowing a world without it to truly understand and master it. Meet Jonny Sgouros, founder of Snowboard Memes, a facebook page that’s acquired 20k facebook fans over the winter, with get this, no budget. After laughing at their posts all winter, we decided it was time to catch up with Jonny and get the real story on his page.

What’s your story? Who are you and where are you from?
Most people call me Jonny. I’m 18 years old and from Mahopac, New York. It’s close to the city and you can get to Mountain Creek, Hunter, Boulder or the southern Vermont resorts pretty easily. I’ve been snowboarding for pretty much my whole life and really love the sport and all the comes with it. When I was younger, I watched all the snowboard videos and thought that I had what it took to be a pro. I was always reading Transworld and Snowboarder. I’ve been riding at Mountain Creek, NJ (where my family has a condo) for a really long time now. I love Mountain Creek, but unfortunately the season only lasts 3 months. I’ve been out to High Cascade a couple times too. Last fall I started my freshman year of college at NYU, and been able to ride as much as I used to. Snowboarding is always super fun and I plan on riding for as long as I can.


What’s the idea behind Snowboard Memes?
It started out as a page for a bunch of inside jokes that most of the people that are on it now wouldn’t get. Saying that, I hope that the page gets more people to realize how funny and weird the Internet snowboard world is. Stuff like the Bad Luck Brian sending in his season edit to Yobeat hoping to get on People’s Court, but instead getting a spot in the Rejected Edits. There was a meme that ragged on JP the Don. It was different in the beginning because funny to only a small number of regular snowboarders. Now it has a lot of things that more casual riders can relate to; and it’s nice because the more relate-able content is what gets the exposure up. I try to put up things that are more esoteric in when I can. I think what we provide, essentially, is a humorous page filled with all the little things that annoy snowboarders. It’s also nice being able to promote people and videos that deserve the exposure.


Why did you decide to start it?
That’s actually a pretty funny story! There was another page called Snowboard Memes that I found that same day I started it, which was run by some dudes in Vermont. I sent in like 10 ideas for memes that I thought of. They didn’t post a single one, so I decided to start my own page. It ended up getting somewhere around 1,000 followers overnight. I think it’s because I posted something about Connor Brown that got reposted by Sage Kotsenburg and a couple This Must be the Place guys. Besides that, I was planning to start a little Facebook page to share all of the snowboard content and videos that I posted anyway. Snowboarding Memes ended up serving both.

You have a pretty solid community these days. You know, brands pay big money for that sort of following. So, what’s the secret?
Yeah you would think that the type and size of the following that Snowboard Memes has would attract the attention of some bigger companies. This however hasn’t been the case. For now at least I just post stuff from Yobeat, The House Boardshop and Dogfunk because I think they are rad. Maybe soon someone will offer to buy the cover photo or pay for some promoted posts. Then again maybe the fact that I don’t have those promotions make the page “cool.” I think the secret is just keeping it real. I’m just a dude who loves and appreciates snowboarding and all that it comes with. I try to post what makes sense and will catch people’s interest. Also there is a bit of time is spent monitoring the page. Luckily the tee shirt sales have been rather successful so I can justify the time spent on Facebook as a small part time job sort of deal. Pretty much every message that we get is responded to. I also have help from my boy Joey Leppien who runs the twitter page and helps me with the monitoring. He’s a rad dude.Collapse this post




No comments:

Post a Comment